Desensing of FM band
Brian Gaff
2024-02-22 09:24:23 UTC
Somewhere around here is a very strong carrier that has the effect on most
FM radios of making the radio less sensitive. Its switching on and off every
few seconds and has been doing so for at least a couple of years. Its most
obvious on weaker stations and worse on the low end of the band, but here is
the thing. I cannot find this carrier on my scanner, though there do appear
to be some cross modulated birdies switching on and off at the same rate.
You can tell these are overload noises as an attenuator removes them.
Its very strange and seems to be mainly very local.
Seems to me it must either be a massive signal to have such a broadband
effect, yet I cannot find it. I was wondering if it was some industrial
process, as there are a lot of small businesses about. When the whether is
warmer I'll have to take a portable fm radio around to see where its coming
from.

Brian
--
--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Jim Lesurf
2024-02-24 12:00:04 UTC
Could it be getting in via the IF rather than at VHF input? The result
would then look quite 'broadband' but not show up on scanning the VHf
spectrum.

Most radios may have little protection against that.

Jim
Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm
Brian Gaff
2024-02-27 14:31:17 UTC
No the Icom is pretty well screened from this sort of thing. Its a multi
conversion radio in any case. I'm no thinking of a nearby rf heating
machine that works on a cycle, but the thing is, why is it there on a
Sunday.
.
Brian
--
--:
Brian Gaff
2024-03-07 10:18:21 UTC
The effect is much reduced this week and sounds like the carriers are
either in different locations or maybe the direction of a beam is different
as it pulses. I still cannot find a fundamental, but it has to be there as
you can hear the effect on a portable at the low end of the fm band.
Brian
--
--:
Jim Lesurf
2024-03-07 12:15:03 UTC
This would perhaps be a case where a specan and/or sdr would be handy for
investigations...

I recall a case perhaps similar to this from some years ago. Taxidrivers in
town kept finding interference when in a given small area of town. Turned
out to be a self-service machine in one of the shops had started radiating
RF! Took ages to track down as it only did it when used in a particular way
by customers!

Jim
NY
2024-03-07 14:21:49 UTC
Post by Brian Gaff
The effect is much reduced this week and sounds like the carriers are
either in different locations or maybe the direction of a beam is
different as it pulses. I still cannot find a fundamental, but it has to
be there as you can hear the effect on a portable at the low end of the
fm band. Brian
Reminds me of a problem that I had with my video recorder which had a
lot of corruption on channels that were on the PSB1 mux, but was fine on
all others.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out that it only happened
at night, and even after that, to work out that it wasn't an after-dark
reception problem but something much more obvious - at night you tend to
switch lights on.

My study, which is lit by a row of GU10 LED bulbs pointing in various
directions, is directly below the TV aerial mast. After a long time, I
worked out that reception got much worse as soon as I turned the study
lights on and got better as soon as I turned them off.

From there it was a process of elimination to remove the bulbs one by
one and find the rogue ones - plural, because two of the same make
seemed to splat all over 482 MHz, Belmont's PSB1, but leave other muxes
near by (490 COM5 and 506 PSB2) untouched.

Replacing those rogue bulbs with ones of a different make solved the
problem. The rogue ones are fine elsewhere in the house, so I could
still use them as long as it was in a different room.
JMB99
2024-03-07 15:21:06 UTC
Post by NY
It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out that it only happened
at night, and even after that, to work out that it wasn't an after-dark
reception problem but something much more obvious - at night you tend to
switch lights on.
There is a story of a WWII radar station in North Wales (CHL?) that kept
getting problems with interference.

It was eventually found to be the bulb in the light in the WAAF's latrine.

They changed the bull and all was OK.
Davey
2024-03-07 15:54:42 UTC
On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 15:21:06 +0000
Post by JMB99
Post by NY
It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out that it only
happened at night, and even after that, to work out that it wasn't
an after-dark reception problem but something much more obvious -
at night you tend to switch lights on.
There is a story of a WWII radar station in North Wales (CHL?) that
kept getting problems with interference.
It was eventually found to be the bulb in the light in the WAAF's latrine.
They changed the bull and all was OK.
Back in my student days, we had one cheap 2nd hand TV set for our digs.
I often took it back home for the holidays.
One evening, it let all the smoke out, along with some spectacular
sparks, and it was later reported that at that time, all TV sets in the
street had suffered unexplained interference for several minutes.
I said nothing.

We also had one that stank of curry, until it had burned off, but that
one lasted a while.
Davey.
Ian Jackson
2024-03-07 23:27:15 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by NY
It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out that it only
happened at night, and even after that, to work out that it wasn't an
after-dark reception problem but something much more obvious - at
night you tend to switch lights on.
There is a story of a WWII radar station in North Wales (CHL?) that
kept getting problems with interference.
It was eventually found to be the bulb in the light in the WAAF's latrine.
They changed the bull and all was OK.
In the early 60s our evening TV viewing (BBC 405-line, channel 5, around
65MHz) was regularly ruined by a faulty light bulb in a neighbour's
house, upstairs on the landing next to their young child's bedroom. The
interference took the form of a searing horizontal line that drifted
slowly up or down the picture.

The parents used to leave the light on until the child fell asleep, and
it was purely by luck that I noticed that the interference coincided
with the light being on, and disappeared immediately the light was
switched off.

Almost certainly the interference was being caused by Barkhausen-Kurz
oscillations in the bulb, which I believe can occur if there is a minute
arcing break in the filament.

The up-till-then friendly neighbour (who, at the time, didn't have TV)
got very huffy when approached with a view to getting the light bulb
changed - and absolutely refused to do anything about it. Fortunately,
after a few weeks the interference suddenly disappeared - presumably
because the bulb had failed and been replaced. [Interestingly, a few
weeks later, the family finally got a TV.]

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2020/interference-issue
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements
Brian Gaff
2024-03-11 12:49:04 UTC
I'm thinking along the lines of a mixing product due to overload of the
front end. That means the field of frequencies to look on is very much
wider. Add some harmonics as well, and all sorts of odd things occur. Most
FM tuner aerial stages are quite broadband, even though they are tuned, that
does not preclude mixing products from getting in.
Brian
--
--:
JMB99
2024-03-11 14:56:16 UTC
Post by Brian Gaff
I'm thinking along the lines of a mixing product due to overload of the
front end. That means the field of frequencies to look on is very much
wider. Add some harmonics as well, and all sorts of odd things occur. Most
FM tuner aerial stages are quite broadband, even though they are tuned, that
does not preclude mixing products from getting in.
Gets very complicated, I was told that on transmitter sites with
typically the six main services and other lower power services they can
mix in the RF stages of other PMR or utility services on the site. So
they something have to put filters in their outputs - to stop other
services mixing in those output stages.

The rule apparently is the last person to install equipment is
responsible for eliminating any interference even if their equipment is
OK with no nasties.
Brian Gaff
2024-03-26 11:53:36 UTC
Its obviously cross modulation of some kind as an attenuator stops it at
about 10dB of reduction.
Some portables are too sensitive for their own good I fancy. I am old
enough to remember local and distant switches on FM radios and TVs. I guess
anything that generates non linearity will cause all sorts of strang
intermodulation components to be heard.
Brian
--
--: