Do the colour buttons always do the same thing?
Brian Gaff
2024-02-02 10:24:49 UTC
I notice that on some channels it says press the red button for this or
green for that, but quite often pressing these buttons appears to do nothing
at all. I guess this may well be because its some kind of inaccessible
content that we blind would not be able to access, but looking through
channels I do see things called BBC red button, and wondered what was going
on exactly?
Brian
--
--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
David Woolley
2024-02-02 14:25:22 UTC
Post by Brian Gaff
I notice that on some channels it says press the red button for this or
green for that, but quite often pressing these buttons appears to do nothing
at all. I guess this may well be because its some kind of inaccessible
content that we blind would not be able to access, but looking through
channels I do see things called BBC red button, and wondered what was going
on exactly?
I believe these are interpreted by scripting sent to the device, and
their meaning is a matter of design convention, not something built into
the device.
Woody
2024-02-02 16:21:46 UTC
Post by Brian Gaff
I notice that on some channels it says press the red button for this or
green for that, but quite often pressing these buttons appears to do nothing
at all. I guess this may well be because its some kind of inaccessible
content that we blind would not be able to access, but looking through
channels I do see things called BBC red button, and wondered what was going
on exactly?
Brian
Red button on older TVs on BBC channels give your Freeview text.
Red button on modern/smart in theory goes straight to iPlayer but only
when it is available.
Green will get rid of the iPlayer option if it is showing on the screen.
Yellow is supposed to be an exit but......
I've never seen blue used!
Mark Carver
2024-02-02 16:53:57 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Brian Gaff
I notice that on some channels it says press the red button for this or
green for that, but quite often pressing these buttons appears to do nothing
at all. I guess this may well be because its some kind of inaccessible
content that we blind would not be able to access, but looking through
channels I do see things called BBC red button, and wondered what was going
on exactly?
  Brian
Red button on older TVs on BBC channels give your Freeview text.
Red button on modern/smart in theory goes straight to iPlayer but only
when it is available.
Green will get rid of the iPlayer option if it is showing on the screen.
Green (if pressed when the appropriate prompt appears) will fire up
iplayer, and start playing the programme from the start for you.
Brian Gaff
Davey
2024-02-03 12:26:21 UTC
Red Button works 99% of the time on the main BBC channels, but does not
link to iPlayer.
For that, you need an internet connection (the 'i' in iPlayer).

Sometimes they show a programme that looks like an iPlayer production,
but it is via Red Button.
Only the BBC.....
--
Davey.
Brian
Davey
2024-02-02 16:59:44 UTC
On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:21:46 +0000
Post by Woody
Post by Brian Gaff
I notice that on some channels it says press the red button for
this or green for that, but quite often pressing these buttons
appears to do nothing at all. I guess this may well be because its
some kind of inaccessible content that we blind would not be able
to access, but looking through channels I do see things called BBC
red button, and wondered what was going on exactly?
Brian
Red button on older TVs on BBC channels give your Freeview text.
Red button on modern/smart in theory goes straight to iPlayer but
only when it is available.
Green will get rid of the iPlayer option if it is showing on the
screen. Yellow is supposed to be an exit but......
I've never seen blue used!
Green, at least on my Humax, shrinks the BBC Red button screen to
nothing, and then shows the full BBC screen including subtitles, but
another press of the Green button will restore the Red button screen as
it was.
I found once that calling Red button by the name of iPlayer causes all
sorts of confusion, iPlayer needs an internet connection, Red button is
available on Freeview OTA.

Yellow and blue I only use as Humax buttons.

That's my two pence worth.
Davey.
alan_m
2024-02-02 18:56:26 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Brian Gaff
I notice that on some channels it says press the red button for this or
green for that, but quite often pressing these buttons appears to do nothing
at all. I guess this may well be because its some kind of inaccessible
content that we blind would not be able to access, but looking through
channels I do see things called BBC red button, and wondered what was going
on exactly?
  Brian
Red button on older TVs on BBC channels give your Freeview text.
Red button on modern/smart in theory goes straight to iPlayer but only
when it is available.
Green will get rid of the iPlayer option if it is showing on the screen.
Yellow is supposed to be an exit but......
I've never seen blue used!
On my receiver/PVR the coloured buttons do different things on different
menu screens. When watching TV the coloured buttons are used as
shortcuts to various receiver/PVR functions.
Blueshirt
2024-02-02 21:39:45 UTC
Post by Woody
Red button on older TVs on BBC channels give your Freeview text.
Red button on modern/smart in theory goes straight to iPlayer but
only when it is available. Green will get rid of the iPlayer
option if it is showing on the screen. Yellow is supposed to be an
exit but...... I've never seen blue used!
Originally the four coloured buttons were part of the "teletext"
services. You would use them on "Ceefax" and "Oracle" to jump
straight to certain 'pages'. Teletext pages [generally] had four
'titles' at the bottom of the page in the four different colours,
clicking the relevant coloured button on the remote control took you
quickly to the corresponding teletext page. So all of the four
coloured buttons would have been in use back then as I think that's
what they were designed for, teletext navigation.
Brian Gaff
2024-02-03 11:32:27 UTC
So the answer is basically no then!

It is indeed unfortunate that when designing the new text system they did
not learn lessons from the old system where the text was readable by simple
text to speech readers. The current system is obviously, or it would have
been in accessible sets like my samsung.
I doubt it would have added much to the price since the rest of the hardware
and software is already there.
Brian
--
--:
Brian Gaff
2024-02-03 11:23:43 UTC
No me neither, Green is sometime announced by the announcer something like
if any of the issues covered affect you press your green button, which then
seems to be either blank or just a message text section updated. It seems
to me that most so called accessible sets cannot read it.
Brian
--
--: