Fire stick
Jonathan
2024-01-28 15:37:39 UTC
I have been reduced to buying a fire stick so that I can watch BBC catch
up as my Sony TV no longer supports i player. Unfortunately fire stick
remote uses the same frequency as the Sony TV, so I have to unplug the
fire stick when I don't want to use it. Is there any way to separate the
two devices, so there is no conflict.

Many thanks, Jonathan.
Woody
2024-01-28 16:26:56 UTC
Post by Jonathan
I have been reduced to buying a fire stick so that I can watch BBC catch
up as my Sony TV no longer supports i player. Unfortunately fire stick
remote uses the same frequency as the Sony TV, so I have to unplug the
fire stick when I don't want to use it. Is there any way to separate the
two devices, so there is no conflict.
Not a frequency issue as, IMSMC, there are only two frequencies
allocated for remotes in the UK, 433.92MHz and another around 868MHz.

If your Fire stick remote works your TV then the coding of the remote
has to be the same as the TV. You need to find out if your TV has the
facility to change the coding, for example as Humax products did.
Brian Gaff
2024-01-28 17:31:11 UTC
Are they both radio and not Infra Red, there seems no point in a tv not
being Infra Red. However, Samsung use both.
Could this possibly be due to the two devices being Android based?
I'm surprised that there is no support for Sony on the catch up side. Its
a popular make and it cannot be beyond the wit of the app writers to make
sure the control systems stay the same.
Brian
--
--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
Woody
2024-01-28 20:24:53 UTC
Do you remember Brian when On Digital boxes first came out? For some
reason - which needed a software patch to cure - I I R C Sony TVs could
not get sound on Channel 4?
Brian
Mark Carver
2024-01-29 14:51:00 UTC
I I R C  Sony TVs could not get sound on Channel 4?
There was a problem I recall, when in 1993 C4 moved from their analogue
distribution using dual channel sound in syncs, to a 34 Mb/s digital
distribution (also operated by BT) that that led to BT having to provide
NICAM coders as part of their termination equipment at the transmitter
sites.

It was some subtle effect that revolved around the LSB in the NICAM data
stream, and was something that Sony hadn't taken account of I think ?

It wasn't that there was no sound, it was far more subtle than that, and
didn't just affect Sony receivers.

Some receiver manufacturers had used UK off air NICAM broadcasts to
develop their decoders, rather than use the full published technical
spec. So what had worked properly for BBC and IBA broadcasts, suddenly
didn't when BT bought themselves some more recent equipment.

It's a problem that has reared its head a few times over the years with
DVB.
charles
2024-01-29 15:08:04 UTC
Post by Mark Carver
[...]
That also happened years earlier with teletext.
Post by Mark Carver
It's a problem that has reared its head a few times over the years with
DVB.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²
Mark Carver
2024-01-29 15:18:36 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Mark Carver
[...]
And with PDC. Again manufacturers had used off air broadcasts and not
the specs to develop their products.

I can't remember which way round it was but the BBC used different
commands in the PDC spec, to those used by C4. Nothing invalid for
either broadcaster as far as the official spec was concerned, it just
suited whatever playout system they were using. However some
manufacturers used only one set of codes as observed from one or other
broadcaster which resulted in consumer disappointment.
Jonathan
Brian Gaff
2024-01-31 18:49:35 UTC
Pretty certain that my Samsung remote , the radio one, is using neither of
thus frequencies. My scanner does go up to 1.9999ghz, but what one really
needs is a sniffer that can identify a strong local signal.
Brian
--
--: