Why has BBC TV News page been changed
Woody
2024-02-20 23:01:01 UTC
It seems the BBC News front page (www.bbc.co.uk/news) has had another
of their makeovers and annoyingly detrimental IMO.

There used to be a band about half way down where you could select you
locale so that when you went to the page you got five pieces of news for
your region or sub-region.

Now that line has gone to be replaced by two sets of in-house
advertising which includes a local news box which means that you have to
select your area every time you want to read it!

I do hope that one day the BBC will learn the meaning of
"If it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT!!"
Davey
2024-02-20 23:02:52 UTC
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 23:01:01 +0000
Post by Woody
It seems the BBC News front page (www.bbc.co.uk/news) has had
another of their makeovers and annoyingly detrimental IMO.
There used to be a band about half way down where you could select
you locale so that when you went to the page you got five pieces of
news for your region or sub-region.
Now that line has gone to be replaced by two sets of in-house
advertising which includes a local news box which means that you have
to select your area every time you want to read it!
I do hope that one day the BBC will learn the meaning of
"If it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT!!"
Is that when pigs will fly?
Davey.
Woody
Damn, I missed that point!
Scott
And Scotland Yard could be London's fifth airport :-)
John Armstrong
2024-02-21 08:21:34 UTC
It seems the BBC News front pageĀ  (www.bbc.co.uk/news) has had another
of their makeovers and annoyingly detrimental IMO.
There used to be a band about half way down where you could select you
locale so that when you went to the page you got five pieces of news for
your region or sub-region.
Now that line has gone to be replaced by two sets of in-house
advertising which includes a local news box which means that you have to
select your area every time you want to read it!
I do hope that one day the BBC will learn the meaning of
"If it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT!!"
The only thing the BBC knows the meaning of is, "We are the BBC,
therefore we know best. Do not try to tell us otherwise."
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-21 08:30:09 UTC
It seems the BBC News front page (www.bbc.co.uk/news) has had another of
their makeovers and annoyingly detrimental IMO.
There used to be a band about half way down where you could select you
locale so that when you went to the page you got five pieces of news for
your region or sub-region.
Now that line has gone to be replaced by two sets of in-house advertising
which includes a local news box which means that you have to select your
area every time you want to read it!
I do hope that one day the BBC will learn the meaning of
"If it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT!!"
It used to keep a cookie so I had it marked as an exception in CCleaner.

What's also annoying is how it changes its numbering of columnar data
between vertical and horizontal on the same page, it can't decide if it's
an English organisation or an American one.
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Captcha is thinking of stopping the use of pictures with traffic lights as
cyclists don't know what they are.
Brian Gregory
2024-02-22 01:03:35 UTC
It seems the BBC News front pageĀ  (www.bbc.co.uk/news) has had another
of their makeovers and annoyingly detrimental IMO.
There used to be a band about half way down where you could select you
locale so that when you went to the page you got five pieces of news for
your region or sub-region.
Now that line has gone to be replaced by two sets of in-house
advertising which includes a local news box which means that you have to
select your area every time you want to read it!
It will remember your region if you login.
Brian Gregory (in England).
JNugent
2024-02-22 01:34:24 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory
Post by Woody
It seems the BBC News front page (www.bbc.co.uk/news) has had another
of their makeovers and annoyingly detrimental IMO.
There used to be a band about half way down where you could select you
locale so that when you went to the page you got five pieces of news
for your region or sub-region.
Now that line has gone to be replaced by two sets of in-house
advertising which includes a local news box which means that you have
to select your area every time you want to read it!
It will remember your region if you login.
I am permanently logged in to the BBC News site (www.bbc.co.uk/news).

The site does not select my home region. It is currently displaying USA
news on its front page.
JMB99
2024-02-22 07:43:17 UTC
Post by JNugent
I am permanently logged in to the BBC News site (www.bbc.co.uk/news).
The site does not select my home region. It is currently displaying USA
news on its front page.
I have mine set to default to UK news as not particularly interested in
reading about the latest SNP scandal.

Just clicked on it and the UK news page came up.
PeterC
2024-02-22 18:44:29 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by JNugent
I am permanently logged in to the BBC News site (www.bbc.co.uk/news).
The site does not select my home region. It is currently displaying USA
news on its front page.
I have mine set to default to UK news as not particularly interested in
reading about the latest SNP scandal.
Just clicked on it and the UK news page came up.
Mine is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cwdnmry5d4nt

which lands me on Northampton and a radius of 20 miles.

The row of subjects at the top now needs:
click on News
click on a heading (Business in my case) - full row appears.
I then scroll down that, mouse gesture to go to top, next one (Tech), R-L
clicks to go back to Business and then Science.
Bit more work but save drop-down menu every time.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
Woody
2024-02-22 19:27:17 UTC
Post by PeterC
Post by JMB99
Post by JNugent
I am permanently logged in to the BBC News site (www.bbc.co.uk/news).
The site does not select my home region. It is currently displaying USA
news on its front page.
I have mine set to default to UK news as not particularly interested in
reading about the latest SNP scandal.
Just clicked on it and the UK news page came up.
Mine is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cwdnmry5d4nt
which lands me on Northampton and a radius of 20 miles.
click on News
click on a heading (Business in my case) - full row appears.
I then scroll down that, mouse gesture to go to top, next one (Tech), R-L
clicks to go back to Business and then Science.
Bit more work but save drop-down menu every time.
Sorry, but the above doesn't make sense.

I was used to there being a line across the page lower down where you
select your town and get the local news for your region/sub-region - in
my case North Yorkshire. That line was held in memory (might have been a
cookie) and always there every time the news page was opened.

It worked so why do they have to change it?
NY
2024-02-23 10:38:36 UTC
Post by Woody
I was used to there being a line across the page lower down where you
select your town and get the local news for your region/sub-region - in
my case North Yorkshire. That line was held in memory (might have been a
cookie) and always there every time the news page was opened.
It worked so why do they have to change it?
Now that the site has removed it from the home page you can still get to
the same information using:

- Local News [menu item just below red "NEWS" banner]

- Press the circular icon with points at N, E, S and W [use my GPS
location] or type in the *name* of the location - full/partial postcode
no longer seems to work

But... that information is longer saved in a cookie, so you have to
specify your location each time. *That* is the real retrograde step.