Fault on Torosay?
JMB99
2024-01-14 14:55:48 UTC
Lost Freeview this morning, I was using the TV for something else so it
was difficult to check what was happening

Not showing as off on the various website but ukfree.tv is showing at
least seven dependents of Torosay going off at 10:09 this morning no
mention of the parent station being off.

Surely even Arquiva would notice seven relays going off at the same time?

I can remember at least twenty years ago we told that 'artificial
intelligence' would notice multiple relay stations going off at the same
time!
Woody
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
JMB99
2024-01-14 15:49:51 UTC
Post by Woody
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
Not my fault that they cannot spell.
Brian Gaff
2024-01-16 15:36:46 UTC
Well that only proves they can't spell.

I guess it depends on how these relays get their signals. If its a special
feed, then I'm not surprised they all went off, but it could be the link is
still working, just that the content has gone. Brian
--
--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
wrightsaerials@aol.com
2024-01-20 21:32:03 UTC
Post by Woody
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
Actually it's against the law to not put a 'U' after a 'Q'.
Bill
Roderick Stewart
2024-01-21 08:29:35 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Woody
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
Actually it's against the law to not put a 'U' after a 'Q'.
Bill
Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.

Rod.
JMB99
2024-01-21 17:20:23 UTC
Post by Roderick Stewart
Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.
I don't think it is either. Fashionable now to make up make up a
completely meaningless name.
Mark Undrill
2024-01-21 17:32:37 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by Roderick Stewart
Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.
I don't think it is either. Fashionable now to make up make up a
completely meaningless name.
Queensland
And
Northern
Territory
Air
Service
charles
2024-01-21 18:00:16 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by Roderick Stewart
Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.
I don't think it is either. Fashionable now to make up make up a
completely meaningless name.
Then nobody can accuse you of "name theft". I can remember Granada TV
taking Ford to court because Ford used the name Granada for a car.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²
Vir Campestris
2024-01-22 11:40:04 UTC
Post by Roderick Stewart
Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.
You mean like Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service?

It is both. Or is that your point?

Andy
Andy Burns
2024-01-22 11:56:24 UTC
I think his point was that arqiva is neither?
Max Demian
2024-01-21 11:37:41 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Woody
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
Actually it's against the law to not put a 'U' after a 'Q'.
Bill
Are any such words allowed in Scrabble?
Max Demian
John Hall
2024-01-21 16:40:17 UTC
Post by Max Demian
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Woody
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
Actually it's against the law to not put a 'U' after a 'Q'.
Bill
Are any such words allowed in Scrabble?
My Concise Oxford gives "qibla", which it says is a variant spelling of
"kiblah". I was too lazy to look up what "kiblah" means.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)
Roderick Stewart
2024-01-22 10:05:32 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:40:17 +0000, John Hall
Post by John Hall
Post by Max Demian
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Woody
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
Actually it's against the law to not put a 'U' after a 'Q'.
Bill
Are any such words allowed in Scrabble?
My Concise Oxford gives "qibla", which it says is a variant spelling of
"kiblah". I was too lazy to look up what "kiblah" means.
kiblah

Also kebl, kebla, keblah, kebleh, kibla, kiblé, qibla(h.

[Arab. qiblah, that which is placed opposite, f. qabala to be
opposite.]

a. The point (the temple at Mecca) to which Muslims turn at prayer.

For a short period in the early history of Islam the kiblah was at
Jerusalem.

b. A niche in a Muslim building on the side towards Mecca.

Rod.
John Hall
2024-01-22 10:55:52 UTC
Post by John Hall
Post by Max Demian
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Woody
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
Actually it's against the law to not put a 'U' after a 'Q'.
Bill
Are any such words allowed in Scrabble?
My Concise Oxford gives "qibla", which it says is a variant spelling of
"kiblah". I was too lazy to look up what "kiblah" means.
kiblah
Also kebl, kebla, keblah, kebleh, kibla, kiblé, qibla(h.
[Arab. qiblah, that which is placed opposite, f. qabala to be
opposite.]
a. The point (the temple at Mecca) to which Muslims turn at prayer.
For a short period in the early history of Islam the kiblah was at
Jerusalem.
b. A niche in a Muslim building on the side towards Mecca.
Rod.
Thanks. That feels like something I ought to know. I'd no idea that
early on for a short while Jerusalem was the holiest place (which I
assume that implies) for Muslims.
Bob Latham
2024-01-22 11:10:14 UTC
Post by John Hall
Post by Max Demian
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Woody
[...]
Depends what you mean by early on. Islam didn't start until the year
610.

Bob.
John Hall
2024-01-22 18:22:54 UTC
Post by Bob Latham
Post by John Hall
Post by Max Demian
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Woody
[...]
I was going by "For a short period in the early history of Islam the
kiblah was at Jerusalem", which seems unambiguous. So presumably for a
short period from 610.
Mark Carver
2024-01-14 15:25:19 UTC
Post by JMB99
Lost Freeview this morning, I was using the TV for something else so it
was difficult to check what was happening
Not showing as off on the various website but ukfree.tv is showing at
least seven dependents of Torosay going off at 10:09 this morning no
mention of the parent station being off.
Surely even Arquiva would notice seven relays going off at the same time?
I can remember at least twenty years ago we told that 'artificial
intelligence' would notice multiple relay stations going off at the same
time!
FFS, use the BBC's own reception checker, not bloody UK Free, it shows
Torosay itself off the air (owing to a 'fault' since 10:09 this morning)
So it's no surprise its relays are also off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/problems-freeview-reception/#/Freeview/PA65%206AY/Torosay

If you bother to look at the SSE fault logger, it states a planned power
cut today between 10:00 and 16:00 hrs (Work Ref 22131 Post Code PA65)

So, nothing to get worried about, perhaps if anyone is at fault, it's
the broadcasters for not announcing it.
JMB99
Do they no longer have the diesel?
Mark Carver
2024-01-14 15:59:57 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by Mark Carver
FFS, use the BBC's own reception checker, not bloody UK Free, it shows
Torosay itself off the air (owing to a 'fault' since 10:09 this
morning) So it's no surprise its relays are also off.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/problems-freeview-reception/#/Freeview/PA65%206AY/Torosay
If you bother to look at the SSE fault logger, it states a planned
power cut today between 10:00 and 16:00 hrs (Work Ref 22131 Post Code
PA65)
So, nothing to get worried about, perhaps if anyone is at fault, it's
the broadcasters for not announcing it.
Do they no longer have the diesel?
Is Torosay a 'proper' Main Station ? I've never been sure. It has a
smaller audience than many relays, that don't have gennys.

Of course the genny may not have started up, and perhaps someone did
attend, and it's not a quick fix. Hense the BBC/Arqiva using the term
'Fault' rather than 'DNO Maintenance', anyway, it should come back on
about now ?
JMB99
2024-01-14 16:10:08 UTC
Is Torosay a 'proper' Main Station ?  I've never been sure. It has a
smaller audience than many relays, that don't have gennys.
Of course the genny may not have started up, and perhaps someone did
attend, and it's not a quick fix. Hense the BBC/Arqiva using the term
'Fault' rather than 'DNO Maintenance', anyway, it should come back on
about now  ?
It was always an oddity from when it first came on. Sometimes described
as a 'relay' and sometimes a 'main station.

It has had a diesel since first had digital.

Probably not able to get to Oban in time for the first Oban ferry so
should possibly be on the Lochaline ferry.
JMB99
2024-01-14 16:01:16 UTC
Very unusual to have planned work on a Sunday?
Mark Carver
2024-01-14 16:19:31 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by Mark Carver
If you bother to look at the SSE fault logger, it states a planned
power cut today between 10:00 and 16:00 hrs (Work Ref 22131 Post Code
PA65)
Very unusual to have planned work on a Sunday?
It's one of five on the logger, the other four are down here in Southern
England.

I suspect its to avoid interrupting business activity (Clearly they
don't regard broadcasting to be that important !)
Woody
2024-01-14 16:04:45 UTC
Post by Mark Carver
Post by JMB99
[...]
The broadcasters probably didn't know because no-one has been to site
lately and found the envelope containing the notification stuck in the
compound gate! (Oh yes they do - found many in my time working out of
Emley!)
JMB99
Ditto, happened many times!
Mark Carver
2024-01-14 16:16:00 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Mark Carver
Post by JMB99
[...]
There's an old story that the BBC's Fareham transmitter fell off the
air, an engineer turned up, to discover scores of final demand
electricity bills stuffed into gaps around the steel front door, and no
supply present.
JMB99
2024-01-14 16:17:34 UTC
Post by Mark Carver
There's an old story that the BBC's Fareham transmitter fell off the
air, an engineer turned up, to discover scores of final demand
electricity bills stuffed into gaps around the steel front door, and no
supply present.
Does not surprise me!

Back on now.
Brian Gaff