Sound of Music picture quality
Tweed
2023-12-24 16:30:30 UTC
We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
Mark Carver
2023-12-26 17:20:20 UTC
Post by Tweed
We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
and..... ?
Tweed
2023-12-26 17:35:13 UTC
Post by Mark Carver
Post by Tweed
We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
and..... ?
Does offline as opposed to real time compression make a significant
difference? I’m guessing it does.
Robin
2023-12-27 08:39:11 UTC
Post by Mark Carver
Post by Tweed
We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
and..... ?
It was shot in 70mm and a 70mm print was the starting point for the
extensive restoration for production of the UHD version for Blu-ray. It
may be the difference was that Sky used that rather than an older transfer.
--
Robin
Tweed
2023-12-27 08:57:14 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Mark Carver
Post by Tweed
We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
and..... ?
It was shot in 70mm and a 70mm print was the starting point for the
extensive restoration for production of the UHD version for Blu-ray. It
may be the difference was that Sky used that rather than an older transfer.
Just to nit pick, it was on BBC via Sky. Does the BBC still maintain the
policy of equality of picture quality regardless of the transmission
medium, which effectively reduces everything to DTT standards or have
things changed?
Mark Carver
2023-12-27 10:00:08 UTC
Post by Tweed
Post by Robin
Post by Mark Carver
Post by Tweed
We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
and..... ?
It was shot in 70mm and a 70mm print was the starting point for the
extensive restoration for production of the UHD version for Blu-ray. It
may be the difference was that Sky used that rather than an older transfer.
Just to nit pick, it was on BBC via Sky. Does the BBC still maintain the
policy of equality of picture quality regardless of the transmission
medium, which effectively reduces everything to DTT standards or have
things changed?
The only involvement Sky have on BBC transmissions via their platform,
is EPG and SI inclusion, they have no influence or involvement with the
code and muxing [1]. I don't know what the BBC's current policy is on
neutrality regarding quality, but as always it's not just about bit rates.

[1] EXCEPT BBC 1 HD South region, that is carried on a Sky rented
transponder (12168V) and coded and mux by them

https://www.lyngsat.com/muxes/Astra-2F_UK_12168-V.html
Andy Burns
2023-12-27 10:20:16 UTC
Post by Mark Carver
The only involvement Sky have on BBC transmissions via their platform,
is EPG and SI inclusion, they have no influence or involvement with the
code and muxing
I thought FreeSat had its own EPG separate from Sky's EPG, but BBC
channels on my (FTA non-freesat) setup always shows BBC channels with
"Publisher: BskyB"
Mark Carver
2023-12-27 15:02:51 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Mark Carver
The only involvement Sky have on BBC transmissions via their platform,
is EPG and SI inclusion, they have no influence or involvement with
the code and muxing
I thought FreeSat had its own EPG separate from Sky's EPG, but BBC
channels on my (FTA non-freesat) setup always shows BBC channels with
"Publisher: BskyB"
I do know that Sky had to apply various tweaks to their SI, to enable
Freesat's SI to be carried alongside.
Brian Gregory
2023-12-31 19:53:36 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
I thought FreeSat had its own EPG separate from Sky's EPG, but BBC
channels on my (FTA non-freesat) setup always shows BBC channels with
"Publisher: BskyB"
Correct. And clever people have done reverse engineering and made open
source software that can read either one for you.

The software in my cheap Chinese FTA box is currently set to read the
Sky EPG (to get more channels), and seems to struggle with late changes
to the schedule, but it should be possible to do perfectly. Occasionally
I look at the source code to see if I can figure out a way to fix it but
I think it's too complicated for me to figure out enough about how it works.
Brian Gregory (in England).
Robin
2023-12-27 14:11:23 UTC
Post by Tweed
Post by Robin
Post by Mark Carver
Post by Tweed
We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
and..... ?
It was shot in 70mm and a 70mm print was the starting point for the
extensive restoration for production of the UHD version for Blu-ray. It
may be the difference was that Sky used that rather than an older transfer.
Just to nit pick, it was on BBC via Sky. Does the BBC still maintain the
policy of equality of picture quality regardless of the transmission
medium, which effectively reduces everything to DTT standards or have
things changed?
It's not a matter of who encoded but what source material they used.
GIGO rules all that is digital.

And if you'd said from the outset it was from the BBC via Sky it would
have been simpler as iPlayer points to: (a) a 70mm version - the credits
include Todd-AO; and (b) the Blu-ray restoration: no fade after the main
credits.
--
Robin
Brian Gaff
2024-01-12 12:46:20 UTC
Probably a good master copy being used. I know a lot of movies have been
reasserted recently. I think I last saw it many moons ago on a bet recorder,
which was a bit grainy and smeared. We used to put up with a lot back in the
day, Who remembers all those terrible soot and whitewash copies of Laurel
and Hardy films. If they cannot do it right, why bother?
Now of course I cannot see them, but that is life.
Brian
--
--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...